Sunday, November 28, 2010

Baraka

So I spent two days of photography class watching a silent film. I am assigned to write a blog post about my thoughts about the movie, and it must be at least 2-4 paragraphs. This movie will definitely not make my "Favorite Movies" list. It was extremely hard for me to focus on the movie, because it was mostly silent. The movie got my attention during the chanting scenes because the sounds were intriguing. It took a lot of effort to focus, but I did it.
Once I was able to focus on the movie I realized that it reminded me of National Geographic. It seemed like someone could pause the movie at any point in time, take a picture of the still frame and put it in National Geographic Magazine. In my opinion the movie was pictures out of the magazine with movement added to them. The movie showed different places in the worlds and allowed us to see a little bit of the culture from that world. I love traveling, and so I was interested in all the different places the movie took us to see. I loved the tribal shots becasue it showed people who are like us living on the same planet as us, but living a totally differnet lifestyle. It's cool to see that because it is completely different compared to the life we live. I have always wanted to go to Africa and see how the people live like this, and immerse myslef in their culture.
I studied the movie for the differnet photographic elements it used. They used everything from rule of thirds to emphasis to color. The use of these elements reinforced the thought in my head that the movie looked like different photographs put together to form a movie. Any still fram of that movie would have created a beautiful photograph I think. I wouldn't be able to watch the movie again because I feel like my mind would wander off too much, but I am happy that I did watch it once. I was shown a differnet type of movie than I am used to. Since I want to become a filmmaker I studied the shots of the film and anaylized it that way too. I gained a lot from the movie by seeing the photographic elements in a movie, and learned about the different ways people live.

No comments:

Post a Comment